DIFFICULTY: Easy COOK: 1hr 50mins
To celebrate National Pie Week, this classic steak and ale pie dish is perfect for the whole family. We like it with chunky chips and an extra jug of gravy.
So why not give this recipe a try in 8 simple steps.
1 kg cubes braising steak
½ tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Gloves Crushed
2 carrots Chopped
1 onion diced
4 beef stock cubes
1 veg stock cube
500ml strong ale
½ tsp chilli powder
Handful fresh thyme
300g ready to roll puff pastry
Salt and Pepper to season
1 egg (glaze)
Pre-Heat the oven to 180°c/ Gas mark 4
1. In a pan, heat the oil with the onion and garlic for 1 minute.
2. Add the steak until the meat is seared, until there is no pink left.
3. Take half the ale and pour into the pan, leave to simmer for a minute. Add the remaining ale along with the thyme, chilli powder and salt and pepper.
4. Add the chopped veg, and crumble in the beef and veg stock cubes. (Add more if you like a thick gravy)
5. Simmer for 10 minutes and transfer to a large casserole pot.
6. Pop the casserole dish in the oven and leave to cook for approx. 1 ½ hours.
7. At least 20 mins before you serve, roll out the pastry and cut an appropriate size top for your pie. Using your pie dish as the guide. Now ladle the meat into the pie dish, add the pastry, add the egg to glaze and bake for a further 20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, serve and enjoy!