These red velvet cupcakes are deliciously moist and fluffy and are perfect for any Royal Bake. The deep red sponge and tangy cream cheese frosting are ideal for afternoon tea or a National Street Party to celebrate the Queens 90th Birthday.
PREP: 15 mins
COOK: 20 mins
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g plain flour
10g cocoa powder
150g caster sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
20ml red food colouring
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½tsp white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
For The Frosting:
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 170c and line a 12 cup muffin tray with cases
2. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and red food colouring to make a thick paste. Combine the paste with the creamed butter and sugar mixture and mix well until the mixture all becomes red.
4.Add half the buttermilk and combine slowly. Then add half the flour and mix until combined. Repeat with the remaining milk and flour and beat until the mixture is smooth
5. Add the salt, baking soda and vinegar, and mix well until completely combined and smooth.
6. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a thin knife or skewer inserted into the centre of the largest cupcake comes out clean.
7. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove cupcakes from the pan and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Cream cheese Frosting:
8. To make the frosting: Using an electric whisk, whip the butter and cream cheese on high speed for about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the sugar until all is incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium high and whip for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
9. Take the cupcake sponge and cut in half, take one of the halves and spoon a generous amount of cream cheese frosting, place the other half on top so it's like a sandwich. Add a dollop of frosting and finish with a chocolate crown #FitForAQueen