This fruity little recipe is ideal for any street or garden party this summer. The perfect summer dessert to be enjoyed in style topped with fresh seasonal fruit.
DIFFICULTY: Fairly Easy
TIME: 1hr 25mins
250g Egg Whites (6 eggs approx.)
1 pinch sea salt
200g Fresh Strawberries
200g Fresh Raspberries
200ml double cream
2tbsp caster sugar
1 Vanilla Pod (seeds removed)
1. Pre heat oven 150°C and line two baking trays with baking paper, or use two silicone baking sheets
2. In a bowl, place the egg whites and whisk them on a medium speed until firm peaks start to form
3. Gradually add the sugar and salt and keep mixing, turning the speed up to the highest setting. Whisk for about 6-8 minutes until the mixture becomes white, glossy and smooth.
TIP: If it feels a little grainy, then whisk for a further 2 minutes.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 trays, by shaping into a circle roughly about 20cm in diameter. Place both trays in the oven and bake for 1 hour until the meringues become a little golden in colour and fluffy texture in the middle.
5. In a bowl, add the cream and sugar and whip until soft peaks form and fold in the vanilla seeds Be careful not to over whip. Spoon half the cream mixture onto one of the meringues and spread out, sprinkle half the berries on top, add the 2nd meringue and press down gently, spoon the remaining cream on top and smooth, add the remaining fruit and garnish with a few sprigs of mint leaves or drizzle some melted chocolate over.
6. Serve and Enjoy!