75g unsalted butter, (plus extra for greasing)
300g dark chocolate biscuits
2 x tins of dark cherries in syrup
2 clementines (plus zest)
350g caster sugar
6 large free range eggs
400ml double cream
560g Philadelphia plain cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla extract
200g dark chocolate
1 dash double cream
50g unsalted butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC, line the base of deep loose-bottomed cake tin and grease the sides or you can use individual ramekins to make individual cheesecakes.
2. In a pan melt the butter over a low heat. In a bag place the biscuits and crush with a rolling pin (or food processor) until they resemble fine crumbs and add to the melted butter and combine well. Pour into the cake tin, spreading out evenly.
3. Place in the oven for approx. 10 mins, remove and leave to cool.
4. in a pan over a medium heat, add the cherries and syrup, zest of the clementine plus juice and 150g of sugar and mix.
5. Cook for approx. 20 mins until the mixture is reduced to a syrupy consistency and the sugar has dissolved. Remove, and leave to cool.
6. Take 2 bowls and spate the egg yolks and whites. Add the remaining 200g of sugar to the yolks, and with an electric whisk to mix for approx. 5-7 mins (until pale and fluffy)
7. Now whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks
8. In another bowl, add the double cream, cream cheese and vanilla extract and combine. Beat until the mixture becomes soft peaks.
9. Take the egg yolk mixture and fold into the cream cheese mixture, then carefully fold through the egg whites.
10. Spoon the mixture onto the biscuit base and swirl through the cherry mixture. Place in a freezer to allow the cheesecake to set overnight.
11. Before serving remove the cheesecake from the freezer, placing on a cake stand.
12. Make the chocolate glaze topping by placing a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, add the chocolate, cream and butter, leave to melt, stirring occasionally.
13. Drizzle the cheesecake with the chocolate glaze and decorate with shavings of dark chocolate and zest of a clementine, and top with more cherries,